Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Tale of Two States...

I am half Telugu and half Tamilian and to all my North Indian friends I am a “Madrasi”. A while ago, when some one referred me as “Madrasi” I used to take offence; couldn’t they say Tamilian or a Telugu girl? My identity has become Madrasi and it would have remained the same even if I was from Kerala just for the reason that I am from South India. But after reading through my history books again, perhaps it’s OK if they call me a Madrasi.

I was born in Andhra Pradesh. When ever I send a mail to my parents I always used the states name as Andhra Pradesh. Now suddenly I realized that going forward I might have to use the name as Telangana. My first full time job was in Hyderabad.
Since I was a little girl my parents used to take me Tirupati (now another state), a place which is so close to my heart that every time I think about that place I get nostalgic. So basically Andhra and Telangana have been great to me. Am I supposed to feel sad that the state is now going to be split?

When some asks me what is famous in Andhra, I always used to say Hyderabadi Biryani and Tirupati Laddu. Now, how am I to choose just one of those?

The issue of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh dates back to as early as 1956, the Gentlemen’s Agreement of Andhra Pradesh, devised to protect and safeguard the discrimination against Telangana by the government of Andhra Pradesh, before the formation of state Andhra Pradesh. The alleged violations of this agreement are cited as one of the reasons for demands for separate statehood for Telangana.

The violations? Are we talking about Hi-tech city (pretty much a silicon valley of the south) or the world famous Business Schools?
Apparently University reservations are an issue. Why, Oh why! Why do we need reservations at all? Shouldn’t academics solely rely on academics and not on the place of birth?

Are we heading into another never-ending-Kaveri river water issue? Can’t we re-visit the gentlemen’s agreement and see that united we stay? Really, is the situation so bad that the state requires a partition?

Gandhi’ism has become a fashion statement. Fast-un-to-death!

3 comments:

  1. congress does not realise what have they landed into and what harm can it do to this Nation.
    For some political gains,they willgo to any extent.
    And what a mockery of democracy.PC announced in the Parliament about agreeing to Telangana even without the PM calling for a cabinet meeting.
    Democracy?
    Want more states?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For their self interest, congress has done the grave harm to the country by dividing the state.fast unto death is like twisting the arms, and govt. cant accept anything like that.

    North Indian south indian all these names are like that..one may be from Bihar, UP,MP, Delhi, but always called north Indian...its ok with me:)

    ReplyDelete