Thursday, September 10, 2009

Balle Balle…Bollywood to Broadway!!!



The other day I was watching the movie, “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi” (Match made in heaven), starring Shah Rukh Khan. When the movie was first released, my friend, all exited, called me from Hyderabad and shares her success story in getting the tickets, first day first show. She paid Rs.300 (in black) for a ticket, which if you buy it in the regular counter would cost Rs.50.

Now after I watched this movie I had to pretend with my husband that I liked the movie, for I like Shah Rukh Khan. Else you will hear of no end to the criticisms from my husband about Mr. Khan. What possessed Mr. Khan to accept that role I cannot phantom.

I also cannot phantom why Broadway shows aren’t as popular in India as Shah Rukh Khans/Rajnikanths movies. I mean, how can one not fall in love with drama when you look at the performance live? “Yenna Rascala! Mind it”, seems to be far more amusing and engaging to many people.

One of my favorite Broadway shows is the KÀ, a show by Cirque du Soleil. This was being played in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. From the stage to the costumes to the story itself, everything was so complicated that it must have been a producer’s nightmare. But the end product is something I can vouch for.

The only exception which I can say in the play is the lack of the traditional ‘stage’. The stage here comprises of a floating platform that rotates and moves with the performers on top. Breathtakingly gracious actors twist and turn; dance and cry and sure enough leave you awed.

When you enter the theatre, you will see a beautiful, ancient village set up and KÁ (gatekeepers) guiding you into your respective seats. 10 minutes before the show begins, the performers start taking in their native language and jump in the midst of the audience, in an attempt to scare (with the help of ropes).

KÀ is a story about "conflict and love", of imperial twins who are separated at the prime of their youth and must undergo a rite of passage of self-discovery. It is about their encounters with KÀ, the fire that has the dual power to destroy or illuminate.
It is about the story of twins separated and re-united along with their respective new-found-love. Death defying feats, songs which move your heart, flying in the air as graciously as a bird, the stage which you can keep on looking forever are a few highlights.

I strongly recommend this show to anyone and everyone! Especially to Karan Johar…I know he can do a better job than highlighting Mr. Khan in all his movies. Really, India has come a very long way and it is only a matter of time before we start demanding something new, something original and something really breathtaking.

So all the producers out there…start doing something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment