Friday, September 24, 2010
Women in Combat Roles
main reasons why women are not allowed in combat roles (according to what I know):
1. Our Paradigm: Yes! its us who is stopping women to enter active combat roles! In olden days, women were not allowed to work. But the perception changed. Its basically our perception which allows us to think that women are not good enough to help protect the country is stopping us from letting women go to active roles in military.
2. Physical Limitations: By no means we can discount the fact that men are more physically strong than women. But, if proper training is given and if any women is in a position to fulfill the requirements of entering into combat roles, she should be given an opportunity.
3. Sexual harassment: No matter how many regulations are in place, it is but impossible to deter a few men. Especially in enclosed locations like submarines, women are more prone to harassment from their male colleagues.
4. Brutal captures: We always believe (rightly so) that we have to protect any woman her self respect. But in event of being captured the first torture method which could be used on them is gang rape.
Of course in today's world, even men are prone to gang rapes but we tend to look more in terms of woman's trauma.
5. Maternity leaves: Military people are expected to be on call 24/7. During pregnancy and post child birth, it is but impossible for women to enter combat. This I think is the major draw back for women to enter combat.
But where there is a will, there is a way. Clauses can be made to provide way for women, if they are interested, to enter combat roles. Even women can be deadly, should there be a need. Israeli army proved so. Give women a chance to excel if she is interested in joining active combat roles.